Hey girl bosses! We thought you could use a little pep in your step this week. No matter how much we love our careers, the day-to-day minutia can drain us a little, leaving us fatigued and restless. So we at Buddy Love are sharing the top 5 ways to stay motivated at work. Sometimes we all need a reminder!
1. Set and track goals. Whether you’re setting annual goals because you want to or because your company tells you to, a sure-fire way to stay motivated is keeping goals in the forefront of your mind. First, set monthly and weekly benchmarks to help you reach your annual goals. Record them and visit them each week. You can use any method you want, from old fashioned paper planners to commitment-tracking apps like Beeminder.
Just make sure your goals follow the S.M.A.R.T. method: specific, measurable, attainable, realistic and timely. Here’s a quick video on how to set a SMART goal.
2. Keep a to-do list. Not unlike tracking goals, this method gives the taskmaster an easy way to stay motivated at work. Write down everything you have to do each day (on a paper planner, of course, since it is by far the most satisfying way to check off a list), and mark off your accomplishments with ink. An article in HartfordBusiness.com claims that list-making also helps us stay more organized, productive and creative.
One video featured on Entrepreneur magazine advises to make to-do lists at the end of the workday. This way, you can stop focusing on putting out fires and instead put your mind to the next day’s tasks.
3. Respect the lunch break. Just like recess is the one opportunity that allows students to reset and refresh, lunch breaks can help working adults stay motivated. However, studies show that about 29 percent of us keep working right through lunch. Be one of the 71 percent to take time for that mid-day mental escape; make sure you take a full hour if you can!
4. Celebrate all the wins. So maybe you didn’t seal a multimillion dollar deal or land that next big client. In fact, maybe you suffered a setback of some sort. If you want to know how to stay motivated, it’s important to notice and be grateful for any accomplishment at all, from a friendly phone call to a productive meeting. And when you do score that next big deal, celebrate big before jumping into the next project.
5. Drink coffee. Lots of coffee. If you want to really know how to stay motivated, one huge secret is caffeine. In addition to purported disease-fighting benefits, coffee has been known to boost energy, memory and mood. It can also help fight depression and boost antioxidant levels. Fuel your caffeine cravings AND stay motivated at work with a daily dose – or two – of your favorite form of java.
Thanks for taking the time to find your motivation. Now – time to get back to work and be the boss you are!